Wednesday, April 15, 2009

男人女人 - The man and the woman

We were at Dragonfly last Saturday (it is the only room at St. James that open till 6am) and since we were reluctant to leave after powerhouse turned on the lights, we decided to head over for some sappy *~Chinese~* music.

The moment we entered, we saw the Chinese male singers stripping on stage and that's when I realized - Sure, hiphop is cool and house music can be nice. But only in a Chinese club do sexy, sweating men expose their bodies to throngs of screaming chicks. June and I immediately sang along (yes, we know ALL the words) and started wolf-whistling (yes, it's acceptable for ladies to do that now) to the topless men on stage.

As Roy stared at me (with a rather mortified look on his face, I might add), wondering which ghost of a crazy Chinese woman had possessed me (that is his greatest fear, by the way - crazy Chinese women and their hissy fits), I turned to him with a wink, "Welcome to Singapore, baby. Now THIS is local culture." ;)

I never thought I'd see the day that he could turn any whiter or paler as he stood there mumbling about how all Chinese love songs sound exactly the same to him (I didn't bother to explain - after all, there were half-naked men on stage).

Then the band did "One Night In Beijing" - a Chinese rock song made popular in the 90's because of the high-pitched (female-like) yodeling in the chorus by the male singer, and I swear Roy almost fainted.

"Oh no, Beijing opera? What kind of place is this?! Just because they add rock beats to it doesn't make it a rock song! And since when has it been acceptable to play Beijing opera music in a club?!", he exclaimed.


I admit I felt a little bad for him at that point, but truth be told - I was enjoying myself watching him freak out. That Brit could be taken down a peg or two, sometimes (I'm only adding this because I know you read my blog, hon).

Anyway, I heard this song that night and it's been stuck in my head till now (Shawn claims that the lyrics are bullcrap and they are made to sound nice to fool women, but no such man/love exists in reality). Here are the lyrics and translation of the song - you decide (and tell me that Shawn is grossly mistaken).




Woman sings:
爱爱爱爱了几回
I've loved so many times
也明白其中滋味
And realized
付出的从来不会等于收回
That what I give is never what I get
我却还在等待着谁能出现
Yet I keep waiting hopefully for the right one

Man sings:
伤伤伤伤了几回
I've been hurt so many times
也曾经为爱憔悴
And wounded by love
爱情里好人总比坏人狼狈
In love, a good man is always more distressed than the bad
我却还是学不会狠心对谁
Yet I just can't bring myself to be cruel

Woman sings:
男人男人多希望你是好人
Dear man, I hope you are a good man
多希望用你的真让我不必再心疼
I hope you will be true and not let me down

Man sings:
女人女人我答应做个好人
Dear woman, I promise to be a good man
我答应用我一生来换你的快乐一生
I promise I would to give my life in exchange for your happiness

Together:
不会再让我(你)心疼一等再等
I will not break your heart or let you wait too long
你就是我等的那个人
I am the one you've been looking for
男人男人
Dear man,
女人女人
Dear woman,
多么希望你是对的人
I really hope that this time you are the one.

No comments: